Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:53:48 -0800
From:      Kirk Larsen <kirkdude@slip.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HELP w/Install

--------------BFCF9C9754D616E92C2D4872

I am trying to install FreeBSD from the Walnut Creek CD-ROM.
The CD-ROM is the 2.2.5 November 1997 release.
I have an scsi CD-ROM, with a PCI Adaptec 2940UW controller.

When I look at the log file using the ALT-F2 option, I see many
errors like this:

/stand/cpio:invalid header:checksum error
warning skipped ____ bytes of junk
Invalid file or directory

I have a Quantum 4.x Gig drive, with the first partition 435 MB as my
FreeBSD
partition, well below the 1G limit.  Partition Magic seems to confirm
that
BSD has got the correct physical Geometry 553/255/63

Then things seem to work it boots BSD, probes the devices, It says:

 changing root to sd1a
 unable to mount root: panic

 and the machine reboots.

After trying to reinstall I get an error:

unable to mount /mnt/dev/sd1s3f /mnt/usr

sd1s13f exists in /dev but not /mnt/dev.  But sd1f exists in /mnt/dev.

Is there a way to install the whole system from the holographic shell?

Then when makedev runs, it has a error, missing files, etc.

What is my problem???  Thanks in advance.

--------------BFCF9C9754D616E92C2D4872

begin:          vcard
fn:             Kirk Larsen
n:              Larsen;Kirk