Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:18:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@ANDRSN.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        Jean-Mark Dupoux <jeanm@dupx.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing from dos  problem

It seems that what you've done should be okay, but only the
FreeBSD partition (in dos terms) should be made bootable.  It made
your second FreeBSD slice the bootable one (or perhaps the
dos extended parition) and that didn't work.

I don't know why you're wasting 160 megabytes on /.  Little
happens there (except installation of new kernels and saving
of the old ones) and it really doesn't need to be that big.

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Jean-Mark Dupoux wrote:

> Dear Annelise
>
> I had a good  read  of your  suggestions, and as I expected, there were
> slight differences between your advice and the exact install
> instructions at the freebsd web site,  insofar as  recommended sizes of
> partitions (I think mostly due to general progress in hardware
> available, since the install instructions referred to release 2.2 from
> one or 2 years ago)  but  I am guessing the principle is basically the
> same.
>
> Before re-partitioning again completely,  I tried to install again with
> the following configuration,  to double-check I had done everything
> right first time around,  and also try out the "S"  switch in the slice
> labelling editor as you said.

It's not in the labelling editor.  It's in the partition (slice)
editor, although I think you were doing it in the right place.
This terminology really is confusing, since FreeBSD uses both its
own terminology and the dos terminology.

Dos is happiest booting from the first partition, but the
following may work.  While you redo this stuff, where are
you stashing the distributions to install from dos?  Or are
you resizing and moving?

> slice 1 = freebsd 160mb
> slice2 = dos-boot  partition 160mb
> slice 3 = dos-extended partition 850 mb
> slice4= freebsd 860mb
>

> the freebsd configuration I tried was
> </> on the entire  slice 1
> <swap >  60mb  slice 4
> </var>    20 mb
> </usr>   remainder
>
> I used the "S" switch  on both freebsd slices, and retained  the
> "minimal" install option for the time being,  since this meant I could
> get started  immediately (without waiting for any more downloads).  The
> install file set  was  on   D:\freebsd\bin and d:\freebsd\manpages  as
> per instructions  (was  on first attempt on  drive  c:\freebsd\  etc..)
>
> This time there was a different  error  message, but it appeared  more
> or less  immediately  after  hitting "ok" to proceed.
>
> "error mounting /dev/wd0s3  on  /dist :  invalid  argument (22)"
>
> followed by
>
> "user confirmation requested -  unable to initialize  selected  media.
> Would you like to adjust your  media  configuration and try  again
> YES/NO"
>
> I took the opportunity at this point to go back into the editing
> screens, double-check the options set,  and try  again,  but there was
> no difference to the result.
>
> Without entering into specifics of  an  "ideal"  set-up for a system
> with this size drive, is it safe  for me to assume at this stage that
> more should have happened  using the steps I just described than what
> actually did?

No, you didn't do it quite right, as explained above.

The ideal sizes depend on what you intend to do with this machine--
what you're going to run on it.  A larger hard drive suggests that
you might want to run X or compile stuff, or run some programs
simultaneously; when the ram is limited, you'd want more swap.  Since
/var is primarily used to log stuff (and to hold databases), when a
machine isn't doing much that needs to be logged, it doesn't have to
be very big; and on a machine without public access, if it gets
crowded you can link to /usr.  (I would assume you're not going to
run a web server or anonymous ftp on this machine, except perhaps
experimentally.)

Annelise