Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:57:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      Per Hedeland <per@hedeland.org>
To:        hueber@riic.at
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware3 on freebsd5.4 fails networking

Gernot Hueber <hueber@riic.at> wrote:

>I can't get vmware3 networking up and running :-(
>(While installing the port I have tried both, with and without bridging
>mode)

Have you installed from a current version of the port? The Makefile has
been broken for the better part of the year, resulting in a rc script
that fails to do the needed network setup. Should be fixed in port
revision 12 on October 14th.

>vmware starts but I get errors regarding the vmnet
>
>1) When config is set to bridging mode
>
>"Could not query bridging status on device /dev/vmnet0.  Please update
>your vmnet driver."
>
>VM starts and I can use it (without networkging)

VMware itself must always be configured for "Host-Only" mode on FreeBSD.
The choice between really doing that, or bridging via netgraph, is done
by the rc script based on the config that is created when you build the
port. I.e. the above will never work.

>2) When config is set to host-only mode
>
>"Could not open /dev/vmnet1: No such device or address
>Failed to configure ethernet0."
>
>VM does not start.

This might possibly be the result of the broken rc script per above, I
don't remember the exact symptom when you actually try to start VMware.

>In both cases vmnet0 and vmnet1 devices are available.

Hm, you don't need vmnet0 (which VMware wants to use when configured for
bridging like above), and the rc script won't create it - if you created
the devices yourself you may have done something wrong...

>What is going wrong here, I have googled around, no luck yet.

There is some discussion on the gory details of VMware3 networking on
FreeBSD in the MultipleInstances.FreeBSD file that comes with the port
(gets installed in /usr/local/share/doc/vmware) - most of it is probably
overkill if you just want to run a single VMware instance, but it might
give some hints.

--Per Hedeland