Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:41:26 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        kent sin <kentsin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        geoff@sea-incorporated.com, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: firebird-0.9_4

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 11:59:42PM -0700, kent sin wrote:
> After make install, firebird can not start.
> ld-elf.so.1 report that libgds.so not found.
>
> Running ldconfig reval that ldconfig refuse to config
> /usr/local/firebird/lib because the owner is not root.
> in fact, it was own by firebird.firebird.
>
> I just read from the 4.3 release note:
>
> ldconfig(8) now checks directory ownership and
> permissions for greater security; these checks can be
> disabled with -i flag.
>
> Can these be the cause of the problem? Should I change
> the owner lib to root or using the -i flag? Moreover,
> there were links to these library which have owner
> root.games Is these correct?

Yes, this is related to ldconfig.  The maintainer of the Firebird
port is aware of this problem, as mentioned in PR ports/25907 at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=25907

As seen in the audit trail, the maintainer said the fix for this
will be included in the update to the upcoming version 1.0.
As a temporary workaround, it is quite safe to change the owner
of the /usr/local/firebird/lib directory to root, so ldconfig
picks it up.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence contradicts itself - or rather - well, no, actually it doesn't!