Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 01:12:17 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Porting NVidia linux kernel modules to FreeBSD

Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> > What 3d acceleration can you do with X4 WRT OpenGL?
>
> Well, I've gotten things set up to where GLX shows up as an extention
> and XFree86 claims the glx module is loaded.  How much actual
> "hardware acceleration" is used or taken advantage of by the 4.0.x
> code is hard to say without looking at it in depth, but the numbers
> I've gotten so far with this exceed the numbers I get with pure Mesa
> so it's fair to say that it's not doing strictly software rendering
> either.

	I'm a little confused at this point. Does X 4 support utah-glx? Or are you
referring to the GLX module that comes with X 4? I had to tweak my X 4
XF86Config file to load that module in order to get, for example the GL
screensavers in xscreensaver to load, but once I did I found the
performance very comparable in my entirely non-scientific comparison to the
old X 3 + Mesa performance. I never installed utah-glx with X 3.

Doug
--
    Perhaps the greatest damage the American system of education has done
    to its children is to teach them that their opinions are relevant