Date:      06 Oct 2000 13:15:42 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@citusc.usc.edu>
Cc:        Bart_van_Leeuwen@doosys.com, "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: eth-security : ANNOUNCE : Resources no for ALL

Kris Kennaway <kris@citusc.usc.edu> writes:
> Read-only nullfs mounts might be good enough for a relatively few
> number of users (they're working in -current nowadays). It would be
> interesting to try and do this in practice and see if it's usable, and
> if not, why not.

At my previous place of employment, I implemented a system for running
separate virtual hosts' CGI scripts in separate chroot trees (no jail,
this was on 3.x and only moved to 4.x a week or two before I quit). I
had a tree template that included a minimal set of binaries, libraries
and configuration files (resolv.conf, passwd, group etc.). The setup
script (written in Perl) would create hard links between the template
and the user's tree, so very little additional disk space was needed
for each user. If you needed to change something in the template, you
could run the setup script again and it would compare inode numbers
and relink files that had changed. Naturally, none of the shared files
were writable by any of the users.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org