Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:27:05 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "R . Munden" <orbitmaster@netorbit.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: looks like the hackers found me

"R . Munden" writes:
> It was a vulnerable version, I'm up to the new 8.x as of about three hours
> ago.  What made me think it was a hacker was the fact that the pipe was
> filling up with UDP packets.  I could have been named acting funky because
> of a bad disk.  It's almost time for the work day to start here, I'll run
> and fsck after the morning phone calls have stopped.  Any pointers on
> trouble shooting disk sub-system errors?

If you have been holed then there is only one way to deal with it. Pull
the network wire. Boot to the Live Filesystem CDROM. Write a backup tape
of what you think is important. Trash all the fs's and start over.

Later when dealing with the backup go slowly and very carefully and
verify everything is what you think it is. Meaning "read your source
code", as that's the only way you can tell the jerk didn't leave a
landmine behind which will let him back in again.

Do not restore any executable binaries from the backup and be wary of
everything else.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net