Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:36:13 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Hayden Katzenellenbogen <hayden@tudogs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root shell

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:26:11 +0200, Hayden Katzenellenbogen wrote:

> I mistakenly changed the root's shell in the passwd file and I put in
> the wrong path. Now I can no longer su you to root or ssh in either. How
> do I get the right path in or get a default shell to come up.

This would be easier to answer if you mentioned which version of FreeBSD
you are using. :-)

You need to boot into single-user mode. This allows you to specify which
shell you want root to use. Then you need to mount your filesystems and
use vipw or chsh to change your root shell.

To boot into single-user mode:

	3.1-RELEASE and earlier:
		At the boot prompt, type ``-s'' and press enter.

	3.2-RELEASE or later:
		At the boot prompt, type ``boot -s'' and press enter.

To mount your filesystems:

	mount -a

To change root's shell:

	Either