Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:35:39 -0700
From:      Dean <dean@thegrid.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip firewall and icmp/dos.

You can find the rfc for icmp at http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc792.html.

To get down to business, here's my ipfw line for icmp.

allow icmp from any to any in icmptype 0,3,4,11,12,14,16

So, coming in, I allow Echo Reply, Destination Unreachable, Source Quench,
Time Exceeded, Parameter Problem, Timestamp Reply, and Information Reply.
Everything else should be blocked.  I allow anything out past my firewall.
For more opinions on this, dredge through the security mailing list
archives at http://www.FreeBSD.org.

As far as the other DoS's go, you should not allow anything you don't
explicitly need.  There are many types of DoS's available to the modern
script kiddie....  Many of them do not rely on weakness in protocols.
(feeding a 1024 username to an ftp server)
Anyway, read up on the bugtraq mailing list.
(http://www.geek-girl.com/bugtraq)

Dean