Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 18:23:41 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Real hackers run -current

In article <Pine.OSF.3.96.971028153505.25490E-100000@sag.space.lockheed.com>,
Brian N. Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Nate Williams wrote:
>
> >In any case, I made *lots* of changes this weekend, although most of
> >them aren't *major* functionality additions (more below).  Hopefully
> >it'll pave the way to see some more funcationality additions, though.
> >But, before that happens, I need people to test out the code.  I don't
> >anticipate many problems, but there's always someone whose computers
> >quits working.
>
> Hey!  I just had Nate make me a set of diffs against -STABLE for this,
> and...drumroll please...it works!  I can suspend and resume at will now.
> (Need I mention this worked the first time?  Whoa.  I think Nate's got
> something here.)
>
> I'm running RELENG_2_2, with the relevant bits current as of today (28
> October), on a TP560C.  Prior to this I've been able to almost crash my
> machine at will, and so far in the last hour I haven't been able to crash
> it at all.  My tests so far have been with a 3com 3C589D and a Megahertz
> XJ4336, and I have an Adaptec SlimSCSI waiting in the wings.

You're having better luck than I am.  My machine is also a TP560,
and I'm running -current from yesterday evening (Oct 27, around
18:00 PST).

Suspend/resume seems to be working OK when only my LinkSys ethernet
card (ed0) is in the machine.  That's modulo various messages about
unfielded interrupts and "Entire system suspend failure: errcode =
96", neither of which seems to cause any actual harm.

But if I put my Megahertz XJ1336 modem card into its slot and type
"zzz" it's a guaranteed instant system hang, requiring a power off to
recover.

Here's my pccard.conf.  Maybe it contains a clue. :-)

    # Generally available IO ports
    io	0x240-0x2e0 0x300-0x360
    # Generally available IRQs
    irq	10 11 13 15
    # Available memory slots
    memory	0xd4000	96k

    # Linksys Combo PCMCIA Ethernet Card
    card "LINKSYS" "E-CARD"
	    config	0x20 "ed0" ? 0x10
	    insert	echo PCMCIA ETHERNET V1.0 inserted
	    insert	/etc/pccard_ether $device
	    insert	/sbin/route add default gateway
	    remove	echo PCMCIA ETHERNET V1.0 removed
	    remove	/sbin/route delete default gateway
	    remove	/sbin/ifconfig $device delete

    # US Robotics/Megahertz X-Jack modem
    card "U.S. Robotics" "XJ/CC1336"
	    config	0x23 "sio2" ?
	    insert	echo PCMCIA Modem inserted
	    remove	echo PCMCIA Modem removed

By the way, does that 0x10 at the end of the ed0 config line
actually _do_ anything?  I think it originated in the PAO stuff.

John