Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 13:39:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        toneil@visigenic.com (Tim Oneil)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows95: what you don't know, you must reinvent

> >I'm willing to write the COM model support code for FreeBSD.  I might
> >even be willing to write a Registry (or LDAP directory) for class
> >identification, agregation, and configuration.
>
> You can write it Terry, but does that mean we have to use it?? Kidding
> aside though, have you taken a look at corba? I mean, is it the microsft
> way or noway already??
> If so, its just another fine standard mowed over by the ms jaggernaut.

Name two vendors writing CORBA components which will work on
platforms based on their processor type rather than based on
their ABI.

CORBA is, unfortunately, a UNIX standard, in the classic sense
of the definition: a method of drawing a distinction between a
particular UNIX vendor and their competitors.  The purpose of
such standards is to segregate the marketplace.

COM, on the other hand, is being built for all major commercial
x86 platforms.  For example, Solaris x86 (download the demo from
http://www.sagus.com/prod-i~1/net-comp/dcom/dcomdown.htm).

If Dale Rogerson, author of "Inside COM", published by Microsoft
Press, is to be believed, one of these platforms is Linux.

But not FreeBSD.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org