Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:09:37 -0900
From:      Beecher Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Chris Whitehouse <chris@childeric.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD starter machine

--nextPart6003204.8Z3aChB46N

On Monday 12 December 2005 02:19 pm, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Matt S. Gann wrote:
> >   I have a few questions about FreeBSD.  I am just beginning to get into
> > UNIX.  I know a few line commands,
>
>   but really want to get familiar and comfortable with the OS.  I have
> been intrugued by FreeBSD for many
> years now, but I own a windows-based PC and am not keen about running
> dual OS's.  I would like to get a
> cheap, used, small desktop or laptop to "tinker" with Unix/Linix and
> FreeBSD.  However, I know little
> to nothing about system requirements and/or hardware compability.  I was
> thinking of an old 486 or Pentium
> 1 to get started.  Any thoughts on what I could start with?

Although you can run FreeBSD on a 486 I wouldn't recommend it. Rebuilding t=
he=20
system from sources took two full days. Also if you plan to run "X" and=20
something like KDE you will find it painfully slow. One of my boxes is a=20
500MHz Celeron which is quite usable. If you have a reasonably fast box I=20
concur with just adding a second drive. You can always mount your windows=20
drive and copy files into FreeBSD. Except for some proprietary apps you wil=
l=20
find plenty of software in the FreeBSD ports to do just about anything you=
=20
can do in windows. =20

> A way to use your current machine for both operating systems without
> dual booting is to install a second hard disk, install FreeBSD and
> select which to boot from in the bios. It's a slight faff changing boot
> disk but works fine and keeps the OS's completely separate.
>
> OT; I still have a PC I made with three HD's plugged in to a home made
> ide cable with an extra connector and a three position switch on the
> front which switches power to only one disk. All three disks are
> effectively primary master so whichever has power when the computer is
> turned on boots. I never had the courage to switch while the computer
> was running!
>
> Whichever way you go FreeBSD is a very rewarding OS.
>
> Chris

=2D-=20

Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech@gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://akparadise.byethost33.com