Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:40:12 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: __FreeBSD_version hairsplitting [was Re: cvs commit: doc/en/handbook/ports chapter.sgml]

On Tue, Jun 22, 1999 at 10:29:02AM -0400, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > > how does that not use __FreeBSD_version? Ports do that. And most of
> > > the time, with any changes, it is not the API that changes but the
> > > ABI.
> >
> > There are other mechanisms than __FreeBSD_version for handling that.
> > __FreeBSD_version is for handling API differences; it is at source
> > level.
>
> Look at the latest pidentd port. How could that be done without __FreeBSD_\
> version? I'm _NOT_ converting pidentd to *blech *autoconf.

pidentd is abusing kernel memory as an API.  This is still an API change.

The ABI is the binary interface that an executable can expect.  If this
change, the executable need to be recompiled.  If the API didn't change
along with the ABI, it can be recompiled from the same sources to generate a
new working executable.

Eivind.