Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 12:30:57 +1200
From:      Craig Carey <research@ijs.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Georg-W. Koltermann" <Georg.Koltermann@mscsoftware.com>
Subject:   Re: reading kernel dump - post gcc 3.1

At 02\05\24 14:52 +0200 Friday, Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:
 >Hi,
 >
 >I got a couple of kernel panics recently, some of them "buffer not
 >locked". I would like to know how I can get more information out of the
 >dump.
 >
 >The system's gdb does not like the dump format any more, see also
 >bin/38236.  There is an advertised workaround in that pr of using gdb52,
 >but I couldn't get that to work ("not a core dump: File format not
 >recognized").
 >
 >Am I missing something? How do you guys read your dumps?

There are online articles on how to get and read kernel panic dumps, at
these webpages. Also I copy parts views the articles.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/03/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/03/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html?page=2
    System Panics, Part 1: Preparing for the Worst (21 March 2002),
      by Mr. M. Lucas

Add: options DDB makeoptions DEBUG=-g to config file.
A large enough swap file is needed for the dump.
Specify in /etc/rc.conf:  dumpdev="/dev/ad0s4b", the dumpdir may be
specified to be /var/crash.
Read savecore(8).

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/04/04/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/04/04/Big_Scary_Daemons.html?page=2
    System Panics, Part 2: Recovering and Debugging (4 April 2002)

savecore(8) should copy a dump of the crashed kernel to /var/crash and
created files kernel.0 and vmcore.0.

gdb -k kernel.0 vmcore.0

__
Craig Carey