Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:43:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Byoung-Kee Yi <kee@wam.umd.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [q] SBPro and mpg123

Hi -

I posted my problem with sound card configuraion in 3.2R,
but has gotten no feedbacks. By searching other mailing lists,
now I know that it is a kinda known bug in the voxware3.5 driver.
Is there any effort going on to fix it?

FYI, I tested with different memory sizes using MAXMEM option
(32M and 64M, the latter is the physical memory size). Guess what?
With 32MB memory, mpg123 worked! Not always, but most of the time
did with one line of (annoying) opening message:
>> SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0xd4) timeout. IRQ conflict ?

I give up. My conclusion is that, unfurtunately, FreeBSD sound system
is broken. I don't know whether it is the voxware driver or other
parts of kernel. I had no lock with OSS driver either. (They also
mentioned a problem with dma buffer scheme or something like that.)

cheers

-- Kee