Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:42:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, mckusick@mckusick.com
Subject:   Re: Any outstanding soft-updates or FFS bugs (matching this  description)?

:
:Matt Dillon wrote:
:
:>     I've had filesystems blow up under test when filling a parition
:>     with softupdates turned on.  The most recent time was last
:>     weekend while I was testing low-memory stuff.
:
:It would be nice if the softupdates code (or maybe other kernel code
:could do this) could detect when filesystem space is running low, and
:kick into some "fail-safe" mode.  For example, when the free space drops
:below 15%, softupdates could automatically shut itself off, and then
:turn itself back on when the free space rises above 20% (hysteresis).
:
:- Donn

    Mmm.  It would be better to fix the bug, I think, then to try to
    program end-runs around it.

    I'm hoping that with all the reports coming in Kirk will be able to
    locate the problem (whether it be in softupdates or the buffer cache or
    whatever).  A friend of mine just lost one of his filesystems to the
    same sort of corruption.

						-Matt