Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 22:56:45 -0400
From:      "Peter D. Pawelek" <ppawel@axess.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nethack

Quoting Sue Blake (sue@welearn.com.au):

> Clearly I'm not :-( I tried installing it last night and... well... when
> I cheer up I might tell the tale of woe.
>
> I've got nethack-3.2.2.tgz and nethack-qt-3.2.2.tgz here, and this qt
> business means nothing at all to me. Is one the X version or what??

Yes, the qt version is for X and it requires that the qt libraries have
already been installed. The qt libraries provide a lot of gui objects
and other X graphical elements for programs written to use them; be-
sides nethack-qt, KDE was written with the qt libraries.

Anyway, I digress. I just installed nethack-qt on my FreeBSD box to
see if it would work (on my girlfriends machine it was installed as
a package during the initial CDROM install (the non-qt version, that
is)) and I didn't have any problems. What I did was to first install
the qt port followed by the nethack-qt port; the nethack-qt port pulled
down a few other programs, so I wonder if this is where you had your
problem (ie. did you try to install it as a package?).

The install went flawlessly and I just finished a bit of hacking and
slashing to make sure everything was alright. ;)

Personally, I'd recommend installing the NON-qt version of nethack in-
stead. This is the original console mode version (it will run in an
xterm as well) in all of its ASCII glory. The qt version adds a lot
of pretty tiled graphics, but it just doesnt *feel* right to me. :)

If you want a flawless install as well, try installing as a port whilst
connected to the net so that the port can pull down whatever other
files it needs. As well, nethack-qt seemed to want to use gmake, so
I'd recommend making sure that you have gmake installed as well (it's
available as a port/package).

If all else fails, try installing angband which is a nethack clone
(I would probably get crucified by some angband fans for saying that)
set in the Tolkien universe (/usr/ports/games/angband). It's pretty
good as well.

Hope this helps!

Peter (ppawel@axess.com)