Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2014 00:22:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Herring <dherring@tentpost.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   missing pkg xorg-server in 10.0-RELEASE

Hi,

Today I pulled the DVD ISO, did a fresh 64-bit install of 10.0-RELEASE,
and tried installing X11 using pkg as documented in the Handbook.

# pkg install xorg
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-install.html

No go.

After a bit of digging, I discovered that 32-bit systems do have an xorg
package, and 64-bit systems have a similar xorg-minimal package.

http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:32/latest/All/
http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:32/latest/All/xorg-7.7.txz

http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/All/
http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/All/xorg-minimal-7.5.2.txz

Extracting these tarballs shows that both packages have a dependency on
xorg-server.  However, the xorg-server package is not available for either
system.

My inclination is to stick with an older OS install rather than compile
xorg-server from ports.  Do you have an estimate of when the xorg-server
packages might become available?  (I plan to use nvidia-driver, if that
makes a difference.)

If building from ports is required, it might we worth noting this in the
Handbook.

Thanks,
Daniel