Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 12:29:28 -0600
From:      Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

}Err... But I wasn't advocating removing the locks.  I was suggesting
}having the routine patch in the correct locking code (or calls
}thereto) based on the processor type at the first invocation of each
}mutex.  This way we could have a GENERIC kernel with the correct
}locking code for both 3/486 and modern x86 processors compiled in
}without the overhead of doing the processor type check on every call.
}
}Sorry if I wasn't clear..
}
}Drew

	I am on a conference call and was also thinking
about other mail. You were probably clear.

	Yes, this can be done. We did consider this for
BSD/OS and I forgot about it. It is actually a very legitimate
way to solve the problem.

Chuck