Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 19:05:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Lefty G." <lefty@area51.stjohns.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modem problems...

I have an annoying problem with my modem setup and Free-BSD..Apparently,
when I boot into FreeBSD, my USR modem *thinks* it is in fax machine mode,
and whenever I was to access it (ppp, minicom, etc) I have to do an ATZ
and then dial the number.. Also, when I stop using the modem, it resets to
fax machine mode shortly after (10 sec. later).. The peculiar thing is
when I boot into DOS on the same machine (different partition) the modem
works fine...

This gets really annoying b/c when I let BSD sit idle, and my phone rings,
it will pick it up automatically and start sending fax start-up signals:(
Is there any process or daemon in BSD which sets up the modem (in my case
/dev/cuaa1..) which would cause this problem?

Any info would help greatly!

-Lefty G>