Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:47:56 -0500
From:      Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
To:        Super Biscuit <super_bisquit@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proof # 2 for agp andwhy is gcc still at 3.4 for normal users?

On Jan 20, 2011, at 6:41 PM, Super Biscuit wrote:

> http://sites.google.com/site/tingox/powermac_g4
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/tingox/powermac_g4_freebsd
>
> I noticed that he had the same problems:
>
> 1) An AGP slot on the motherboard with an AGP card in it.
> 2) Xorg hung for no apparent reason.
>
> Foregoing Whitehorn's advice of not building agp.ko, I built it.
>
> After I installed the module, loaded it, and kldloaded it. The AGP
> card as then recognized.
> It can be unloaded after. Logic boards with AGP must have this
> module loaded at least once.
>
> This problem only seems to exist on certain models of PowerMac G4
> with an agp slot.
>

> B) GCC is behind.
>
> No, I don't care who likes this next part or any of this email. You
> can toss it and block me.
>
> GCC for freebsd powerpc is way behind. I am following a howto plus
> converting deb to tar.gz packages right now. Is this necessary?

I can't answer the agp thing, I just build with it.  It provides
absolutely nothing though, except a mostly useless /dev/agpgart (my
machine is a single MDD).  However, system gcc on ppc is 4.2.1, just
like on every other architecture.  The ports are broken, though, last
time I checked.  I've managed to build gcc 4.4.0 successfully with
some hacks, but nothing worth sharing.