Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:53:45 +1300
From:      "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Malloc type lacks magic

Not able to boot with a custom kernel built from 4.1.1-STABLE sources,
cvsup'ed 24 Oct NZT from cvsup.au.freebsd.org.

Towards the end of the boot process, the kernel panics, and displays "malloc
type lacks magic" and reboots.

That message comes from kern_malloc.c:

void
malloc_init(data)
        void *data;
{
        struct malloc_type *type = (struct malloc_type *)data;

        if (type->ks_magic != M_MAGIC)
                panic("malloc type lacks magic");

        if (type->ks_limit != 0)
                return;

        if (cnt.v_page_count == 0)
                panic("malloc_init not allowed before vm init");

Tried adding (type->ks_magic == NULL) with a different message, but I still
got the "malloc type lacks magic" one.

Where's M_MAGIC set? The only place I can find it is in kern_malloc.c.

Any workarounds for this, apart from running the 4.1.1-RELEASE GENERIC
kernel, which boots fine?

--
Juha

"Bother," said Pooh as he struggled with sendmail.cf, "it never does quite
what I want. I wish Christopher Robin was here."

       /"\
       \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
        X      Against HTML Mail
       / \