Date:      Tue, 08 Jun 1999 13:47:47 -0500
From:      Mike Urban <murban@webzone.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Automatically redialing internet connection?

I am going to be running a server that will have a full time connection
to the internet via a modem and dedicated line. My question is this: Is
there a simple way for me to set it up so that it will monitor the modem
and automatically restart the connection if it detects a disconnect? The
server will be accepting incoming requests, so simply setting it up to
dial whenever the connection is needed is not good enough.

Basically what I need is something that can monitor the modem, and
automatically restart the connection if it dies.. Could this be done
through a simple shell script maybe? Please try to explain in relativly
simple terms as I am pretty new to FreeBSD and UNIX in general. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.