Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 14:48:40 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Joao Carlos <jcrr@ieee.org>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, Nielsen <nielsen@memberwebs.com>, Ken Ebling <kebling@us-it.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw/dummynet suggestion

Joao Carlos wrote:
> > several viruses do change the MAC address. The only real
> > security is to have one user per port and filter the ports.
> > Next step (but not as safe) is to wire down the arp table and only accept
> > things that are in there (will be easy to implement in the
> > new ipfw)
>
> I think it would be easier to deny all mac address in the ipfw rules except
> by those that you know, right?

Particularly, you should limit access to the antivirus server
this way, so that if anyone does get a virus that does this,
they are screwed for all time.  NOT.

Seriously, I'm wondering what "security restrictions" are so
onerous that users are willing to change their IP addresses to
get around them, and why they are there in the first place?

I'm also wishing I had your posting in time to wave in the face
of someone who once forced the implementation of a stupid access
control model that required network identification of particular
users, on the theory that users wouldn't do exactly what your
users appear to be doing.

Finally, I'll suggest that if you truly want to implement this
thing, that the "correct" way to do it is probably to use the
per machine NT Domain Controller information via hacking up the
code from the SAMBA project, so that you can *ask* the NT domain
controller for the credentials associated with an IP address,
since this access control model is why NT Domaons were designed.

-- Terry