Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:37:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Crispin <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU>
To:        Willy Offermans <Willy@Offermans.Rompen.nl>
Cc:        imap-use@u.washington.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Imap-use] imap-uw occasionally crashes

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Willy Offermans wrote:
> imap-uw crashes from time to time on my FreeBSD 6.2 server:
> Mar 13 09:51:10 sun kernel: pid 46336 (imapd), uid 1012: exited on signal 6
> Mar 13 09:51:10 sun imapd
> Mar 13 09:51:10 sun in free():
> Mar 13 09:51:10 sun error:
> Mar 13 09:51:10 sun chunk is already free

This is definitely a bug in your copy of UW imapd.  However, it is not a
bug that I know.  That is, it is certainly the case over the 17 year
history of UW imapd that there have been heap management bugs (which the
bug that you have is), but there are no known bugs of this nature in the
current distributed version nor in any previous verion for quite some
time.

What version are you running?  You can get the version from running UW
imapd from the shell and see what the greeting banner says (just CTRL/C
out once you get the banner).  The current UW release version is 2006f,
and the current development snapshot is 2006g.

Did your copy come directly from UW?  If it did not come directly from UW,
it may have been modified by third parties.  If it is a third-party
modified version, the problem may be in those modifications and not in the
actual UW code.

I recommend that you obtain a copy of UW imapd directly from UW, either:
 	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z
for the release version, or
 	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap-2006g.DEV.tar.Z
for the imap-2006g development snapshot.  Try to deploy the unmodified
current UW version, and see if that addresses your problem.

A word of caution: sometimes, third party modifications take the form of
incompatible customizations that they don't tell you about.  So, when you
try the unmodified version, it won't work because of a dependency on one
of the customizations.  If you find that this happens when you try to run
the unmodified UW version, let me know (you can email me directly, no need
to bother the list) and I'll help you get it going.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc