Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 17:35:31 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Aaron Sonntag" <aaron@sonntag.org>
Cc:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI RAID controller support

> Yeah the Dell rep was telling me that the Adaptec controller was an OEM
> based on the 7897 chipset.

Er.  Well, saying the aac-364 is "based on the 7897 chipset" is a bit
like saying my car is "based on Michelins".  Yes, it does use them, but
it's really a complete computer system built around a StrongARM 110.

>  I am not going to be allowed to run 4.x on this
> server.  I will be able to run 3.4 when it is on CD later this month.  Will
> this help?  I also did not plan on booting from the RAID controller.  I had
> planned on doing software mirroring on the SCSI boot drives and the RAID5 on
> the hardware controller.

Ok.  Note that you can't really "software mirror" the boot volume either,
unless you're talking about something else I'm not aware of.

> Will this allow me to use the Dell/Adaptec
> controller at all?  I read in some FreeBSD documentation that the 7897
> chipset was supported... but I guess not in a RAID controller?

The aic7897 is supported, yes.  The Adaptec aac-364 is not.

> Based upon
> what you said I can at least use the AMI controller with 3.4 if I don't mind
> booting off a different controller right?  I hate to drag this out but a lot
> of money is involved (relatively) and I really only have one shot at this.

Not a problem.  Yes, the AMI controller is perfectly viable with 3.4, and
I've been getting quite a lot of good feedback on it so far.

> One more question.  Is there any vendor like Dell or SAG that is FreeBSD
> friendly?

This is always a difficult recommendation to make, simply because
anything I say may be taken as endorsement and I don't want people to
feel left out.  Having said that, I've never had cause to regret
recommending both Telenet Systems (www.tesys.com) and ASA Computers
(www.asacomputers.com).