Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:22:15 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Matt Martini <martini@invision.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ypserv

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 12:09:15AM -0400, Matt Martini wrote:
>> If you're gonna upgrade your box from 4.2, why not go to the 4.3
>> "most stable" branch (RELENG_4_3)?  Is it because you are only doing
>> binary installs, and not source builds?
>
> Chad,
>
> Actually I used RELENG_4 which I thought was "most stable."
> Am I wrong?  I am doing source builds (buildworld, buildkernel).

Then you should have noticed that your "uname -a" is no longer
reporting 4.3-RELEASE, but 4.3-STABLE by now.

The RELENG_4 branch is what is referred to as -STABLE.  It is the
branch to which some features are migrated after they've been
installed and "burned in" in -CURRENT (which is RELENG_5 at the
moment).  It's also the branch that has generated all the e-mail
about occasional breakage and not being suitable for revenue
generating production systems.

If you continue to fetch and build RELENG_4, sometime next month
your system will automatically transition from 4.3-RELEASE to
4.3-STABLE (probably already has) to 4.4-RELEASE to 4.4-STABLE, with
perhaps a couple of -RC (release candidate) versions along the way.
This may be fine, if you want your system to be picking up new
features as they develop.  It's probably not what you want if you
can't afford to have your systems break.

So a new branch was created (RELENG_4_3), which is RELENG_4 that
will only have security fixes and =major= bug fixes applied.  No new
features or functionality.  This is what I run on production
systems.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com