Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 08:40:58 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE or Ultra SCSI

> So I have to keep telling myself what an investment in brain cells I have
> with SCSI, how it always works (well it does for me), and how every IDE
> system that I've tried to put 2 disks in, or take one drive out of, has
> been such a pain that I've given up.  Then I calculate my hourly rate into
> the equation...

You need to also calculate in the "food chain" effect if you have more
than one system.  I have a number of them, and it's a very nice
feeling indeed to kick out a 2Gb drive from system A on some upgrade
and think "Hmmm, I can put this into B, C or D..  Which needs it
more?"  I don't have to sweat master/slave issues, I don't have to
think "Oh, this thing has already got 2 drives - guess I'll add
another IDE controller or punt" and as long as I can actually fit the
drive some in the case or mount it externally, I can make it work and
I can make my decision based solely on which system can best benefit
from the storage, not how many drives it has in it already.

IDE is so limited by comparison that, well, there's just no comparison. ;-)

						Jordan