Date:      Tue, 23 May 2006 08:14:23 -0400
From:      DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
Subject:   Re: e-mail server farm question

Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

>>> What do you mean exactly? distributing 1 user's mails into seperate
>>> machines? I didnt understand how Maildir helps to this actually.
>>>

>> I am not sure anyone was talking about distributing 1 person's mail
>> across separate machines.  The discussion seemed to be how to handle
>> large amounts of mail spread out across machines, which maildir helps
>> with as you can have one or more file servers and lots of consumers
>> (imap/pop) and deliverers (mta) accessing those maildirs on your file
>> servers.  Combine with a backend database of some sort (we use an
>> ldap db that includes the path for a specific accounts mail) and voilá.
>>
>> Chad
>>

> Ah sorry, I didnt think it that way for a moment. I thought you meant
> Maildir
> stores mails in seperate files compred to mbox format used by sendmail
> so...anyhow
> my mistake :) But it is possible to make changes to sendmail so that it
> will store to different folders also.
>
> I think the conclusion is a database, multiple smtp servers querying
> database
> to see where to forward received e-mails, multiple pop3/imap servers
> querying
> database to see from where to read the e-mails and multiple storage
> machines.
> This way it can scale to an unlimited size.
>
> So it requires a lot of coding :)

Not really, we have a large system which required little coding except
for script tools.

We have two FreeBSD servers as public gateways running Sendmail +
Milter-Ahead + MailScanner. These 'gateways' scan mail for viruses and
then forward the delivery on to three toasters which are FreeBSD servers
running qmail + vpopmail + Spamd + SquirrelMail.

The toasters each mount an NFS share from a Sun Enterprise to store the
mail. Vpopmail answers the validation reqests from Milter-Ahead and gets
all it's storage/authentication information such as Maildir delivery,
forwarding, SpamAssassin settings, etc from a common MySQL DB.

All very stock and the system can grow as large as the mail store server
allows. When it is incapable, we will replace it with a larger machine.
Just because I know you will ask, the mail store server is raid5, dual
power supply, dual nic. The gateways, toasters, and mail store all
communicate via a private network which is 1gb.

It has proven very robust during the past two years.

DAve

--
This message was checked by forty monkeys and
found to not contain any SPAM whatsoever.

Your monkeys may vary