Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:51:22 -0800
From:      Chris Parry <laotzu@juniper.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@juniper.net
Subject:   Filesystem problem

Hi, we recently had a filesystem problem that at first we thought was
hardware, but after swapping all the relevant components out seemed to be
software related.

The hardware is a dual 1GigaHz tyan motherboard with onboard scsi, going
to and external raid disk array (9x73G raid-5).  We broke the partition
(over 1/2 a terrabyte) into two smaller partitions (df output below).

We are running 4.4-RELEASE, with softupdates.

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da1s1e 275146984 57248994 195886232    23%    /build/yevaud-b
/dev/da1s1f 275147254 114620155 138515319    45%    /build/yevaud-c

The problem became apparent, after months of use when the da1s1f partition
reached about 85% capacity.  At this point we started hearing complaints
that the machine was acting very slow and under alot of load.  Further
analysis revealed the raid array was almost not be used at all.  There
were no errors being reported anywhere though, not from the kernel, nor
the raid's bios.  This condition was easily recreated by doing a cvs co of
a source tree on the partition.  The other partition though had no
problems.  After burning a 12 day swapping out all the components, it
seemed to only be possible that it was a software issue.  After having our
developers delete a bunch of space the problem has gone away.

I'm writing this to let you know what I've found.  I've upgraded to
4.5-RELEASE and hopefully it won't happen again, but wondered if anyone
else out there had similar experiences.

Thanks,

-chris