Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:54:34 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yet another patch to try for softupdates panic

On Sep 21, 12:24pm, Luoqi Chen wrote:

} > What bothers me is that the
} > directory truncation doesn't happen until after ufs_direnter() has
} > stored the new directory entry, so I don't see how the softdep_fsync()
} > unlocking bug causes the symptoms.

} It doesn't lead to panic immediately. But it leaves the system in a
} inconsistent state: the real size of the directory is in fact larger then
} what the i_size field of inode says it is. The next time a file is created
} in this directory, ufs_lookup() will only search for empty slot up to
} i_size bytes in the directory, if it couldn't find anything, this file
} will be placed at the first slot beyond i_size and there's already a
} valid entry there!

Yeah, I finally figured that out after I went home for some zzz's.

It looks like this bogus unlocking could also affect vinvalbuf() which
expects the vnode to be locked.