Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 20:29:37 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Mattias Bj?rk <thrawn@linux.nu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems when runing make installworld.

--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:21:26AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 09:06:23AM +0200, Mattias Bj?rk wrote:
> > Hi, Again, thanks for the answer, i read
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D30276.
> >=20
> > It says there that if you are building make world with a p3 and run mak=
e installworld on a 486
> > you get this error. But I don't have a p3 I have a dual celeron, I have
> > also attached my make.conf from the building machine. And its a p90 that
> > Im makeing the make worldinstall on. But any way the problem seams too =
be
> > the same or am I wrong?
>=20
> The point is when you try and install a world built with different CPU
> optimizations.  I assume you have CPUTYPE set on your build machine;
> this is what controls the optimizations that will be used when you
> build world, so it's obviously not going to work when you compile your
> binaries for a Pentium Pro and try and install them on a Pentium.
>=20
No, the problem is worse.  Even if you set CPUTYPE for the target, some
tools (bootstrap-tools and cross-tools) are built with /usr/lib stuff.
And your /usr/lib stuff might be built with an incompatible CPU stuff.
This is much easier demonstrated with cross-arch builds/installs.
These simply do not work now.  You can't build TARGET_ARCH=3Dalpha world
on i386, then NFS mount /usr/src and /usr/obj on alpha, and install
world from there.  For this to work, we must rebuild all bootstrap-
and cross-tools that we use during installworld on the target.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,