Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:45:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel driver doc's Take 2.

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Richard Hodges wrote:

> Thanks for the tip on the XL driver.  Over the years, I have seen
> many questions about which driver/card was the best, and all the
> answers were pretty vague, or suggested that Intel had the edge.

	Yes. It's currently my understanding that the xl driver is indeed
as reliable and as fast as the fxp. I know what your saying though. The
fxp has been touted as the fastest. Years ago it was the de driver for DEC
cards that was the screamer, then it became the fxp, but the xl driver is
just as fast.

> That's good news on the Tyan motherboard.  The bad news is the price...
> About $950 :-(

	Yeah when I saw that price I about had a stroke! My guess is it's
going to be half that when it finally rolls out in april. AMD CPU's and
AMD boards have *always* been cheaper then Intel parts. I really doubt
Tyan is going to start breaking that now. Granted this is their first high
end server board for K7's but Tyan always has faily decent prices on their
MB's. I think that 950 is just an initial marketing price. But in relaity
when it rolls out you will see it on pricewatch for half that. That's my
guess.

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"