Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 09:52:00 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@amis.net>
Cc:        Clarence Brown <clabrown@granitepost.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1 lockup at isa0: on reboot

* Blaz Zupan <blaz@amis.net> [000827 09:13] wrote:
> > Problem: If I do a "shutdown -h now" and then press
> > any key to reboot, the system ALWAYS hangs after
> > displaying the line..
> >
> > isa0: <ISA bus> on motherboard
>
> I think I've seen this on a customer's 486 (used as a wireless router) and if
> I remember correctly it was caused by the ata driver. Unplugging the hard disk
> fixed it (but obviously I couldn't install FreeBSD on such a machine :), it
> was a Western Digital. Using the wd driver fixed it as well. Plugging in
> another hard disk (a newer Western Digital) fixed it as well. I chose the
> later route, as the old disk crashed a couple of days after using it with the
> wd driver. Also, I had to use userconfig to remove all drivers for hardware I
> didn't have.

Guys, here's what you need to do; go to:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html

Basically you need to compile a kernel with:

options		DDB
options		BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER	#a BREAK on a comconsole goes to

then when it hangs at boot one might be able to to hit ctrl+alt+esc
to get into the kernel debugger, then hit 't' (i think, it's been
a while :) ) to get a traceback.  Tell us what you see.

Another simpler option is interrupting the boot countdown and typing
'boot -v' to get a more verbose boot then give us more information than
just "isa0: <ISA bus> on motherboard".  :)

Please let us know what you find out.

thanks,