Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 1996 22:28:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
To:        David Meyer <Skynet1@Cris.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Com ports, ethernet, and all those hardware goodies

On 16-Sep-95 David Meyer wrote:
>>1) In FreeBSD 2.1.5, the /dev/ directory doesn't seem to have all the
>devices I need. It doesn't have any of the SIOx (com ports) and I can't find
>my Ethernet Card. I know that when it boots up it mentions the Ethernet Card
>but I can't seem to find it.>

You can make devices you don't have.  Change to the /dev directory, and
do a ./MAKEDEV xxx ( where xxx is the device name).  See the handbook
( /usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook/html or
 www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html ) or the excellent book "Installing
and Running FreeBSD" about making devices, and building a custom kernel.

>2) Can I use all of my four com ports?? Is that supported?

Works for me! You need a kernel with support for all hardware
and NO DEVICE CONFLICTS.

>3) How do I setup my printers on both my LPT ports??>

Same as above.  See the handbook, or other fine book on Unix administration
for details on setting up your /etc/printcap and simple filters.

>4) How do I get FreeBSD unix to shutdown correctly?

shutdown -h now will halt the machine
shutdown -r +5 will reboot in 5 minutes.
see the man pages (man shutdown) for all the details

>5) I downloaded Apache-1.1.1.tgz from a non unix computer and brought the
>file over to the UNIX computer. I did the TAR -XZF apache-1.1.1.tgz and it
>uncompressed it now how do I set it up?? Through /stand/sysinstall?? What
>settings do I use?

I use "pkg_add" or "pkg_manage" for packages.  Ports need to be built with
"make install".

>6) With a DOS Emulator for Unix will I be able to play video games like
>Duke3d or Doom?
>If I can and I want to do a network game will that work??

Don't know about this one... never tried.  Would never want to.  You may want
to check out the Linux port of Doom and set that up.