Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:12:01 +0100
From:      Holger Kipp <hk@alogis.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux ports dependencies...

Hello,

I installed

/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-suse-9.1

and then wanted to install

/usr/ports/x11/linux-XFree86-libs

The latter has as master site (among others)
ftp://ftp.in2p3.fr/pub/linux/suse/update/9.1/rpm/i586/
so this really fits very well, but then I have the
following problem:

===>   linux-expat-1.95.5_2 depends on file: /compat/linux/etc/redhat-release - not found
===>    Verifying install for /compat/linux/etc/redhat-release in /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8
===>  Installing for linux_base-8-8.0_6

===>  linux_base-8-8.0_6 conflicts with installed package(s):
      linux_base-suse-9.1

      They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

now to solve this I simply did the following:

cp /compat/linux/etc/SuSE-release /compat/linux/etc/redhat-release

and then installed the package.

I currently find it very annoying that we have so many different
linux_base-installations available, but not the corresponding
/usr/ports/x11/linux-XFree86-libs for every release (only redhat,
it seems), and devtools are also not available for all base
installations: linux_devtools, linux_devtools-6, linux_devtools-7.

Is there a chance this is going to be fixed any time soon (eg
this year?)

Admittedly I'd rather not use these linux things at all, but
unfortunately there are still commercial programs around that
are _not_ natively supported under FreeBSD. <sigh>.

Regards,
Holger