Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:42:21 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        Bob Bomar <bulldog@fxp.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows as opposed to Other OS's

Bob Bomar wrote:
> I am writeing a paper on the diffrences of various
> Operating Systems.  Mainly I am looking at Windows
> and Unix and Unix-Like operating systems, and Windows
> and Mac OS X.
>
> I am looking to gather information on how and why people
> choose an OS.  I am also looking to gather information on
> why other OS's were not choosen.
>
> Any opinions are appreciated.
>
> In my opinion, as a server, FreeBSD is a great choice.
> It is fast, reliable, and very well built.  But as a
> desktop choice, it leaves a little to be desired.
> Windows, IMHO will remain a main desktop choice for
> a long while, but I do belive that alternative OS's
> such as FreeBSD, Solaris, Linux, and other will become
> more and more popular.  As I have been going through
> a UNIX course at a local college, I have come to
> appreciate Solaris.
>
> I appreciate any comments that any one has to offer.
>
> Thank You.
> -- Bob

If its my choice, I let FreeBSD power my servers. For web- and
mailservers, its outstanding. It does a very good job as a firewall,
and using ipfw/natd or ipf/ipnat it sure keeps up with most of the
firewall/nat combos out there, including the "hardware" firewall boxes
that usually costs a small fortune. Arm it with samba and it can
replace most of your NT/w2k boxes, and do the same tasks on cheaper
hardware. I think the biggest reason FreeBSD makes such a great server
is its ability to take a hell of a beating and still keep going. I've
seen fbsd servers keep doing their job and respond in timely fashion,
even while running under a load that would kill most os'es on the same
hardware.

For workstations however, I have to admit that I still run windows.
W2k does everything I want my workstation to do, and its relatively
stable. Usually, the first thing I do when I boot w2k is to open a few
ssh connections to some fbsd machines, and I instantly have the easy
of use of windows and the power of Unix at my fingertips.