Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 1996 22:16:33 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        proot@horton.iaces.com (Paul T. Root)
Cc:        hounddog@juno.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount dos partition

Paul T. Root wrote:

> In a previous message, Hans N Gruber said:
> > I tried to mount my dos partition using the following command line:
> > mount -t msdos /dev/wd0 /mnt
> > and got message:
> > mount: invalid argument.
>
> A guess, but /dev/wd0 isn't a valid slice. You probably want
> /dev/wd0s0, if your first slice is DOS.

Paul probably meant

   mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s1 /mnt
                          ^^
which is most usual.  The digit may vary, but the numbering is
1-based.

> > It seems to me that mount_dos should be in /usr/sbin,(???)
> > but mine is in /sbin. Copying it to /usr/sbin didn't help
> > matters any. What am I doing wrong?

Leave it in /sbin.  Mount commands belong in the / filesystem.
(Otherwise you may have to mount /usr to get at them.)

> > Also, what should be in my /mnt directory? It is empty.

It should be.  Otherwise, stuff in it will just disappear when
you mount a filesystem there.

Beware of mounting DOS filesystems with cluster sizes greater
than 16384, unless you are running 3.0-current.

--
Robert Nordier