Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:07:00 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Lasse Laursen <laursen@netgroup.dk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Raid-1 and Vinum

Please don't send questions of this nature to FreeBSD-stable.
FreeBSD-questions is the correct forum.

On Friday, 11 October 2002 at 14:18:16 +0200, Lasse Laursen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a small question regarding Vinum and Raid-1 that I hoped someone
> would be able to answer.
>
> We have a storagetak raid with 2 x 65 GByte RAID 5 arrays. We are going to
> mount both arrays under FreeBSD and then use software raid 1 (Vinum) to
> mirror the two raids (It's a single point of failure in a huge cluster so
> it's really important to never loose any data).
>
> We have several Linux systems running software raid 1 and if one of the
> disks fail in the mirror then the other disk can simply be mounted - is it
> the same procedure under FreeBSD?

Apparently not.  You don't need to do anything if one of the
components of a volume fails.  Recovery is automatic.

> Eg. if one of the raids fail we will be able to mount the existing
> part of the raid as a regular disk?

Well, you would have to unmount it first, and I'd strongly recommend
against this course of action.  That way you would lose your update
timestamps, and so if your other disk came up again, Vinum would see
the same update timestamp on both and bring them both up, though they
would be inconsistent.

I don't know why you would want to do this, anyway.  In this
configuration, your volume would continue to function in degraded mode
without any intervention.

Greg