Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:04:48 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: Ports freeze for 4.7 (Different procedure this time)

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

We've received feedback requesting we conduct the ports freeze a bit
differently this release cycle, so we'll try it out and see how it
goes.

Briefly, the ports tree will be frozen this coming Friday night
(September 20), probably around 8pm PST (I think this is 3am Saturday
morning, UTC).  I'll kick off a package build, the progress of which
can be viewed online at the usual locations:

i386: http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/4-latest/
alpha: http://beta.freebsd.org/errorlogs/4-latest/

Packages can be downloaded from:

i386: http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/packages-4-latest/
alpha: http://beta.freebsd.org/errorlogs/packages-4-latest/

e.g. by setting the PACKAGESITE variable with pkg_add.  The packages
will be uploaded to the ftp site once the build finishes.

In contrast to the usual procedure, the ports tree WILL STAY FROZEN
after this time until the tagging operation, which will probably take
place on the 24th, depending on how things go with the rest of the
release process.  This means:

  ** NO UNAPPROVED COMMITS TO THE PORTS COLLECTION DURING THIS TIME **

This rule will be strictly enforced.

Bug fixes and critical updates will be permitted, but low-priority
upgrades/changes will not be.  Make sure you get any such commits in
before the Friday deadline.

Port maintainers and others are encouraged to test their ports and the
generated packages during this time; the idea being that we hope
maintainers and users will test the packages, fix critical build
failures (especially on the often-overlooked alpha platform) and
improve the quality of the release.  The extent to which this actually
happens will help determine whether we'll do this again in future.

Kris

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK--