Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 14:16:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      dutchman@spase.nl (Kees Jan Koster)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Above286 board

Hoi Hackers,

I've got a new memoryboard for my PC. It's an Intel AboveBoard 286.
The docs state that it's an EMM board. With it you can add up to 2MB
of EMM to your 286 or 8088(!). It's a fullsized ISA board and it looks
like mine has 2MB on it.

I'd like to use it as a ram disk for FreeBSD, to have 2MB of fast swap
space. But for that I'll have to write a device driver.

 1) Has anyone heard of this board? Does anyone use it? Is there
    source of a device driver for it? (Any system)

 2) Can a non-kernel process address the ISA memory space? To
    experiment I'd like to be able to write to it's addresses without
    rebuilding the kernel.

 3) Does anyone have a pointer into Intel Corp. to someone who can give
    me more info or even specs of this board?

The docs tell me that the board can be used to supply _conventional_
memory via a setup program. That's odd. I didn't think an XT could
address memory via the ISA bus? Or can it?

Thanks in advance for any information.

  Kees Jan Koster

Kees Jan Koster                   e-mail: dutchman@spase.nl
Van Somerenstraat 50              tel: NL-24-3234708
6521 BS  Nijmegen
         the Netherlands