Date:      13 Jul 2002 14:30:36 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        ezislis <kesor@mail.ru>
Cc:        George <jirka@5z.com>, gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GDM 2.4.0.x & FreeBSD

On Sat, 2002-07-13 at 11:46, ezislis wrote:
> The other problem, the graphical greeter not working, it still doent work,
> even when gdm is started from the console.

On my machine, gdm behaves the same whether in graphical mode or not.
I.e., if I set it up to do graphical, the greeter with the flower
appears and accepts username and hange.  If I set it up for
non-graphical, the greeter with the face browser appears, accepts the
username and hangs.

I suspect the graphical problem is somehow unique to your machine.

BTW, you explanation of how you restart gdm is wrong.  Gdm will not
restart correctly if you just kill -1 1 because init will not correctly
kill gdm.  You have to force it off with 'killall gdm' to make sure that
you kill the original gdm process, otherwise you are probably still
running the originally spawned gdm from your startup.  Whenever you kill
gdm, check with ps before and after to make sure you really killed it.
I bet the results will surprise you, and I think the method you are
using is causing some of the odd things you are seeing, especially with
the graphical browser issue.

/Joe