Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:14:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: deleted huge directory

> > Does anyone have any suggestions for deleting a huge directory? The
> > direcory is /var/news/spool/control/cancel. The directory is too large to
> > even do a ls. If I try doing ls, it eats up all the avail. RAM(140+mb) and
> > hangs. Anyone? I would try a wildcard, but I don't know what the filenames
> > are. (This is a very large news server, and this directory has never been
> > touch as far as I know.)
>
> Dear god.
> If you don't mind, I'll just borrow all that space.....
> Can you get a file listing by echo * > /place/some/file.list ?

Can anyone tell me exactly what this directory is for? This months
Boardwatch in ISP Tech Talk, the author recommends deleting this directory
daily. And this has never been deleted, as far as I know. Or it has been a
very long time. Does the news server read this directory during
news.dailt? Expires have been taking FOREVER lately. I suspect this may be
a reason. (Sorry for the off-topicness, but how to delete the directory is
ontopic. :) )