Date:      Mon, 08 May 1995 13:29:55 +0930
From:      "Paul M. Gardner-Stephen" <gardners@ist.flinders.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   how about an IO filesystem

Hello Peoples!

Two things...

1) Is there a nice interface for FreeBSD that will let me do direct
chip-bashing to selected CPU io ports.. ie, i say to the system 'i want to
have direct access to ports 0x378,0x379' and if the ports are not in use,
then the system blocks all other processes from activities which would effect
these ports, and releases port protection on those addresses.

If there isnt a way, how about the following:

a 1 KB /dev/ports or similar file , which maps to the 1KB of ISA port space.
It is generically read-write, except for ports in use etc.. If a process would
like exclusive use of a port it uses normal file locking methods to lock the
region of the file it wants.

This special file would then also be tied to the activities of some of the
other /dev/'s so that for example, locking the IDE or SCSI ports would be
impossible, and things like locking the /dev/lp0 ports would work,. and would
block the port when the actual io addresses were locked etc...

am i making sence?

Incidently, i need a direct port access facility for communicating to various
hard-ware on printer ports and other weird addresses (including Commodore 64's).

Paul Gardner-Stephen

|Paul Gardner-Stephen    USENET:        gardners@ist.flinders.edu.au      |
|                           BBS:        Fishbowl +61 8 2771361 v.42, 14k4 |
| 64NET Author	          Voice:        +61 8 2777479 +9:30 GMT           |
| C64 Coder               Snail:        1 Hurst St,Morphettville SA 5043  |
| Highlander/FairLight                  Australia.                        |
|                      IRC-Nick:        Highlandr                         |
Compiler error:  Windoze=efficiency
 (Incompatible assignment of 'efficiency' to type MicroSoft.Product)