Date:      Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:32:17 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH persistent sessions without screen?

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 09:00:02AM -0700, Chris Telting wrote:
> I would like to have something like virtual terminals that continue=20
> running no matter if ssh is connected to them or not.  Something like=20
> the screen utility.  But I don't want to use screen, I'm looking for=20
> something more automated.  Maybe even be able to have multiple=20
> connections on different computers.
>=20
> I have a number of computers and I like to use each for batch processing=
=20
> different stuff, especially compiling.  I'm mostly interested in=20
> connecting to running sessions from a mobile android phone.  I don't=20
> want to keep having to manually login every time through screen and it=20
> should be tolerant of a dropped connection.
>=20
> I'm thinking there is probably a way to do this with just ssh.  Maybe=20
> have separate sshd daemons running on specific ports.  Any ideas?

I'm not 100% clear on what you're trying to avoid from GNU Screen, but my
first thought when you said you wanted persistent sessions without GNU
Screen was "tmux".  Count mine as a third vote for tmux, if that suits
your needs.

Depending on your actual needs, you could also look into using the nohup
command.  It's not a terminal multiplexer but, in the words of the
manpage, it allows you to "run a command immune to hangups, with output
to a non-tty".

--=20

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu--