Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2008 12:22:55 +0200
From:      Jordi Espasa Clofent <jespasac@minibofh.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Rare problems in upgrade process (corrupted FS?)

Hi all,

I'm traying to update a FreeBSD server box from 6.3p11 to 7.0 and I've
found a rare problems.

1) I do the sync process with csup(1); next I go into
/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf to edit the GENERIC file (I use a custimized
kernels) and this file doesn't exists. Mmmm.... I decide to repeat the
process againt other cvsup mirror but I get the same results: GENERIC
file isn't there.

2) I go to FreeBSD CVSWeb , locate the GENERIC file under the 7_0 tag,
copy and paste. Yes, I know: a very nasty process. The big problem
appears when I try to do 'make cleandir' and others. I get the next outputs:

# pwd
/usr/src
# make cleandir
make: don't know how to make cleandir. Stop
# make buildworld
make: don't know how to make buildworld. Stop
# ls -l /usr/bin/make
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  351024 Aug 18 13:19 /usr/bin/make
# file /usr/bin/make
/usr/bin/make: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1
(FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 6.3, statically linked, stripped

¿?¿?¿?¿

* I reboot the machine (because of I suspect a very weird FS problem),
boot in single user mode and do a 'fsck -fy'. Effectively, the fsck(8)
found and repair several errors. Epecially, one error claims my
attention: SUPERBLOCK.

* After the theorical FS reparation I'm again in the point 1.

¿Any clues?

--
Thanks,
Jordi Espasa Clofent