Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 16:15:53 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, dkelly@hiwaay.net, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Back to sysinstall (was Re: Fortran in the base system (was Re: sysinstall))

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > What about someone's copy of their pacakge flat file formats, with
> > clone (clean room from published documentation) versions of their
> > package manipulation commands?
>
> Well, nobody's offered such a thing to date, but I'd also have to say
> this was a little bit late considering as I've already spent about
> $10K on a contractor for the new package system.  It's sort of waiting
> in the wings for our compiler technology to catch up since the
> contractor in question is also an avid C++ programmer and past the
> point where gcc 2.7.2.1 is able to support his efforts (2.7.2's C++
> support is broken in a variety of well-known ways).

In other words:
	a) to get the new package system, we need good C/C++ compiler
	b) to get good C/C++ compiler, we need TenDRA
	c) to be able to use TenDRA, we need quite some changes to the
	   system
?

Or is there a shortcut?

> - Jordan

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.