Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 20:39:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        Helge.Oldach@de.origin-it.com (Helge Oldach)
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't flash Cisco 2516 using rcp (recv <BAD, Login incorrect.>

Hello!

Helge Odach wrote:
> Andreas Klemm:
> >On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 01:14:36PM +0100, Helge Oldach wrote:
> >> OK. But you do have a proper /home/andreas/tftpboot/.rhosts? And
> >> /home/andreas/tftpboot and its contents is world readable?
> >
> >o.k. forgot the .rhosts for user ios in ~andreas/tftpboot
> >but same failure ...
>
> Odd. You should be able to rcp from other Unix hosts, simulating
> the 2516's rcp. Does that work? If not maybe it has to do with
> /etc/hosts.equiv, /etc/auth.conf or other knobs. You are aware that all
> "r" tools are disabled by default in /etc/inetd.conf?

A couple of months ago I experimented with rcp on ciscos, too.
IIRC, the router _always_ logs in to the user specified, but
with its own hostname as the remote username.
(i.e. the remote username _as_presented_to_the_unix_host_)

Test:

lagavulin#conf t
lagavulin(config)#ip rcmd remote-username pmh
lagavulin#copy startup-config rcp
Address or name of remote host []? ardbeg.komma.de
Translating "ardbeg.komma.de"...domain server (194.77.233.18) [OK]

Destination username [pmh]?
Destination filename [lagavulin-confg]?
Writing lagavulin-confg !
1279 bytes copied in 0.372 secs

$ uname -a
FreeBSD ardbeg.komma.de 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Sat Dec  2 14:35:36 CET 2000     root@ardbeg.komma.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ARDBEG  i386
$ cat .rhosts
lagavulin lagavulin

HTH,
Patrick

P.S. lagavulin-conf didn't exist before the rcp - a clear advantage over
     using tftp.
--
--- WEB ISS GmbH - Scheffelstr. 17a - 76135 Karlsruhe - 0721/9109-0 ---
------ Patrick M. Hausen - Technical Director - hausen@punkt.de -------