Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 21:03:36 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        mcclain@looneys.net, java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for review: Standardising Java library directory locations

On Friday 10 May 2002 16:20, Mcclain Looney wrote:
> I'm not sure a centralized storage model for libraries is such a good idea.
> It's been my experience that many java apps are shipped with old, outdated
> or incompatible "support" jar files (old versions of xalan or some such).
> In addition to this, I've even seen jars shipped which contain the contents
> of 4 or five other jars inside (several of which were old)!.

This is why I would like all Java library ports to build from source and
_depend_ on other Java library ports. First the ports that do not have any
other Java library dependencies should be identified, added to the ports
tree, and then we can start building up the tree from the bottom up :-)

> I'm afraid centralized storage of java libs might lead to a "jarfile hell"
> situation. Perhaps a versioned approach could be developed (similar to .so
> links).

Hmm, what exactly would you have in mind? I will think this over a bit more...

Ernst