Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 14:35:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      steve hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tcp extensions

Ive probably gotten you all trained to just hit your delets when you see
its another note from me - but I swear Im closing in on my problem with
apache & 2.1R and the delay is attributable to infrequent sketchy
problem reporting.

After spending two weeks trying everything, I noted that the server no
one complained about was on subnet A, while the 2 in trouble were on
subnet B.  Two of my annex terminal servers for PPP are on that subnet B.

So I grabbed one of the screaming meemies, and I forced him onto a subnet
B term server, and true enough, he could not get pages from the subnet B
web servers (He got the text - but left alone it timed out and he got
some kind of bad socket error).  But while on the subnet B term server he
could retrieve pages, graphics and all from the subnet A server.

(note that webservs on subnet A and B are as identicle as I could get
them in apache and kernel configs as well as hardware - the user uses
trumpet - but then so do I and I have no problem).

Then I got him to log into a term server on subnet C - and violins! er I
mean viola', he could retrieve pages & graphics from servers on both A
and B.

So now this makes me think that if the packets go thru my cisco router
they some how get cleaned up acceptably to the annex and this end user
(this also happens to my lead tech support person), whereas if they dont go
thru the router there is trouble.

So one would think to turn off the tcp_extensions - BUT THEY ARE.  I put
NO in sysconfig and I see at boot that it issues the sysctl on those RPC
variables.

Is there something else one must do to turn off extensions?

Im going to count my blessing and either move 2 term servers or two web
servers to a new subnet - but I really wwould like to know why the heck
this is happening.

Any insight, or guesses appreciated!

Steve Hovey -- shovey@buffnet.net
 	       root@buffnet.net